Now Hiring: Business Administrator
Founded in 1976 by Nancy Niles Sexton; 8 FT staff, 30-40 contract staff as needed
Mission: To provide theatre education & experience to young people to spark imaginations, inspire achievement, and impart skills that last a lifetime. Vision/Values: Walden Theatre respects young people’s enormous ability to learn & achieve, developing generations of collaborative, empathetic, confident, and creative young people with a lifelong regard for theatre as a mirror on the world.
from 200 schools and 90 zip codes. Programs include:
- Conservatory Program: ages 5-18, progressive, continuous extracurricular classes offered by semester (Fall, Spring, Summer), opportunities for all levels of experience & interest (500 students/yr).
- Performances: 167 annual public performances by and for students in each month of the year. Range from critically acclaimed public & school matinee performances by Conservatory students, to free showcases by younger actors, to summer camp shows for many trying theatre for the first time.
- Outreach Program: 80+ schools & community sites per year, programs offered during the school day, after school & summer; offer combination of classwork & performances that use theatre’s proven learning approaches to teach any subject, including not just history & literature, but also math, science, and more; all programs customizable to meet student & teacher need (12,000/yr).
- Annual Operating: FY12 Audited $632,557; FY13 Unaudited $686,165; FY14 Budgeted $718,063
- Maintains a working knowledge of the organization’s accounting system(s) and performs all bookkeeping functions, including A/P invoices, A/R deposits, and miscellaneous billing; reconciles and balances bank statements; manages daily cash flow; reconciles box office reports.
- Prepares financial reports and statements, including income statements, balance sheets, cash flow, and
- analyses of future earnings or expenses; prepares reports for regulatory authorities, granting agencies, tax exemption documents, etc. Assists in preparation of annual budgets and re-forecasting with staff and board.
- Conducts informal audit of books to insure proper record keeping; coordinates formal audits by arranging for and assisting independent auditors.
- Prepares annual charitable gaming documentation.
- Gathers and calculates employee wages/salaries and contractor payments, processes in-house bi-weekly
- payroll; maintains knowledge of current payroll tax legislation; calculates and processes applicable quarterly and annual payroll taxes; prepares W2s and 1099s.
HUMAN RESOURCE COORDINATION
- Serves as the administrator for all employee benefits (i.e. healthcare, leaves of absence, retirement plan); manages open enrollment period for benefits; processes employee changes with appropriate vendors; acts as liaison for insurance carriers, agents, and employees.
- Helps maintain Employee Handbook; ensures policies are in compliance with federal/state laws & regulations.
- Provides administrative support for staffing; processes background checks; performs new hire orientation, files appropriate paperwork; prepares separation notices (i.e. unemployment, benefits) and related filings.
- Manages contracts for all part-time, contract employees, files appropriate paperwork.
DAILY OFFICE ADMINISTRATION
- Serves as the general office manager; handles purchasing of office supplies and manages contracts for office equipment; provides basic technical support for PCs and other office equipment.
- Manages student registration (fall, spring, summer); tracks participants and waiting lists; processes scholarship applications and awards.
- Maintains master contacts database (i.e. information on past and present registrants, donors, volunteers).
- Distributes incoming mail and processes outgoing mail; makes daily Post Office trips; assists in bulk mailings and transports bulk mailings to mailing house.
- Helps to answer telephones; acts as point-of-contact for many customer needs.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of the organization’s master calendar; participates in the coordination and execution of special events.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a related field; a combination of education, training and experience that results in demonstrated competency to perform the work may be substituted.
- Minimum of 3 years experience serving in accounting, bookkeeping, and office administration roles; previous nonprofit accounting experience preferred.
- Advanced computer proficiency including Excel, Word, QuickBooks.
- Customer service-oriented with excellent oral and written communication; strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities, to think ahead and plan over multi-year time span.
- Maintain the confidentiality of any information s/he encounters.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license, have reliable transportation and automobile insurance.
- Successfully pass any required pre-employment background screening.
- Team player with commitment to Walden Theatre’s mission and values.
While performing the essential duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb stairs (no elevator access), sit for long periods of time, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, reach with hands or arms, talk, and hear. The employee may occasionally be required to stoop (bend at the waist), kneel, and lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision and distance vision. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities.
Normal office environment. The noise level is usually moderate. Some local travel utilizing employee’s personal transportation is required for this position. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee, and is subject to change at the discretion of Walden Theatre management.TO APPLY: Email résumé and cover letter to Alison Huff, Managing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org No calls.