Fall 2020 Reopening Plan
Reopening the Conservatory
After consulting with local and state officials and analyzing best practices that are in step with arts organizations across the region, CTC’s world-class Walden Theatre Conservatory is planning to reopen for in-person classes starting September 8th.
CTC will submit its “Healthy at Work” proposal to Governor Beshear’s office this month to officially open our doors to the public in September. Our Phase One plan for returning staff members includes mandatory mask usage, regular temperature checks, frequent sanitizing, and contact tracing. We are now furthering those plans for Phase Two, which accounts for the return of students.
Here are a few of the changes you can expect to see this semester:
- We are limiting class sizes to 16 students (for Conservatory classes) and 12 students (for Adult Acting classes) to take into account social distancing needs.
- In our continued effort to align CTC with evolving industry best practices, we will be introducing a “hybrid” model of virtual and in-person education this semester.
- Adjustments to class times have also been made to avoid heavy traffic in the hallways.
- Our youngest students in Imagination class will enjoy a virtual-only option this semester to ensure their safety as well as the safety of our teaching artists.
- The 2020-2021 season will be scaled back from 10+ Mainstage productions to four, with the Young Playwrights Festival kicking off our season in February.
- Audiences in CTC’s theatre space will be limited to no more than 30 immediate family members and other Conservatory students per performance.
If/when further adjustments to these plans are needed, we will communicate those changes to staff and students in a timely manner.
We feel confident that our flexibility in these matters gives us a real chance to commence in-person programs. If state and local advice asks us ultimately not to gather, then we will pivot to a virtual semester. We’ve learned so much from the successes of our virtual summer camps, and we are confident that no matter what, CTC will be able to offer an enriching and engaging experience to meet you where you are.
Fall 2020 Enrollment
Fall 2020 Enrollment will look different than previous semesters. Previously enrolled students were given the option to reserve a place in class before enrollment was made open to the general public. Enrollment for new students and the general public went live on August 1st.
The enrollment forms for both Conservatory and Adult Acting classes are now live and accepting applications!
Class Placement and Financial Aid
Financial aid options for Conservatory students will be limited this semester due to smaller class sizes and greater organizational overhead. While we hope to be able to accommodate requests from students enrolling in Conservatory, please note that we cannot guarantee financial aid availability for all who apply. Award decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis as funds are available.
If returning or prospective students have any questions about class placement, please contact Artistic Director Charlie Sexton (firstname.lastname@example.org). Rest assured that regardless of where your student is placed this year, the curriculum will be challenging and fun as our teaching artists are already taking into account the unique nature of what this year may look like.
We’ll see you on September 8th for Conservatory and August 15/17 for Adult Acting!